Farm Apprenticeship Program
Orkestai Farm is a sustainable, inclusive, non-profit educational farm where community members come together to learn, work, and grow healthy food.
Orkestai Farm, located at the Planting Fields Arboretum in Oyster Bay, NY, provides hands-on training in sustainable agriculture for teens and adults of all skill levels. Orkestai Farm’s philosophy is founded on the notion that an agricultural system requires choruses of people to collaboratively learn, work, and play to cultivate the land.
WHAT DO WE OFFER?
A unique program that provides hands on learning from knowledgeable and experienced farmers.
The opportunity to learn how to plant and grow organic vegetables.
Art, yoga and movement workshops throughout the season.
A share of the Harvest - a weekly box of fresh, local, seasonal produce.
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
Our Farm Apprenticeship Program curriculum includes but is not limited to :
Building healthy soil
Setting up irrigation systems
FARM PROGRAM: STRUCTURE AND SCHEDULE
• Farm Program days will be Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays beginning April 29th - October 18, 2019
• Each farm day will run from 9:30am -12pm. Come any or all days!
• Community lunch from 12pm - 1pm, all are welcome to join with their own brown bags!
• Seasonal First Saturdays (Community Days) will be: the first Saturday of each month: May 4th, June 1st, July 6th, August 3rd, September 7th, October 5th from 9:30am-12pm
• CSA share and a ticket to The Harvest Fest/Equinox Fest in September, as well as free entrance to all Expressive Arts Agriculture Events.
• Program Cost $5,500
If you are interested in participating, please click on the link below:
Season Opening : Kickoff Celebration, Saturday, May 4, 2019
Farm Apprenticeship Program Start Date: Monday, April 29, 2019
Farm Apprenticeship Program End Date: Friday, October 18, 2019
CSA (start and end dates) June 21 - October 18, 2019
UNSURE? TRY US OUT… Come for a visit!
Not sure learning to farm is your calling/gig? Want to give farming a go?
Introductory Package Rate-3 classes for $75
DON’T HAVE A GREEN THUMB?
…but want delicious and organic produce for your favorite recipes? Join our CSA!